How to Access or Request Records of a Deceased Relative from World War II?

Hey guys… :innocent:

I have been trying to piece together my family’s history and learned that my great-grandfather served in the Australian military during the war. I believe he might have been in the Army, but I’m not entirely sure of the details.

I’ve done some basic research online and found that the National Archives of Australia (NAA) seems to be the right place to start. However, I’m not exactly sure how to navigate the process of searching for his records or what specific information I should be looking for.

From what I understand, there might be different types of records available (like service records, medical records, or discharge papers), and I’m wondering which of these would give me the most comprehensive overview of his military service. I’m also curious if there are any other archives or databases that I should be aware of that might have additional information.

Can anyone explain the steps involved in requesting a copy of these records? Are there specific forms I need to fill out, or any particular details I need to provide to make sure my request is processed smoothly? Additionally, is there a cost associated with requesting these records, or any restrictions I should be aware of (like certain documents being closed to the public)?

I also check this: https://forum.naa.gov.au/t/harvest-and-analyse-data-from-recordsearch-using-the-the-glam-workbmendix But I have not found any solution. Could anyone guide me about this?

Thanks in advance!

Respected community member! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hi Nisha02,
Thanks for your question relating to WWII service.
A great source of information to assist you with your research is our website and RecordSearch database.
Army – Second World War: 1939-45 | naa.gov.au

If you are unable to locate the person you are seeking, please fill out the linked form, including all the information you have available and one of our Reference officers can assist you.

General reference inquiry form - RefTracker (naa.gov.au)

Thanks,
Leslie