Immigration from Cornwall in the 1800's

Where do I access immigration records when I only have names of persons concerned?

Views: 228

Comment by Debra on November 17, 2013 at 11:35

Hi Mollie,

The NAA only has records post Federation, anything earlier than 1901 is kept by each State archives or record office.  If your person was NOT British you can however check the NAA indexes for a naturalisation record which will often name the ship and year of arrival.

This is one site which lists online indexes for arrivals in the 1800s

If you can't find an immigration record, don't make yourself crazy looking.  Many have not survived and a lot of people were not recorded by name.  The only immigration records that can provide any decent amount of information are those for NSW and Tasmania around the mid 1800s, otherwise you will often only get a name and age and sometimes an occupation.  Make sure you try lots of different spellings and try every State as many people moved overland in search of work after arrival.

If you can't find them, post the names and ages here and we will see what we can find.



You need to be a member of RecordSearch Forum to add comments!

Join RecordSearch Forum

© 2022   Created by National Archives of Australia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an issue  |  Terms of Service