Andrew John Bartlett NX54980 Prisoner of war


I am looking for anything about my great uncle who was captured by the Japanese WW2 in Thailand {Siam}

We know his commemorative plaque is in the war cemetery in Katchanaburi and have visited in the past but have no information on how he actually got there and the events leading up to being captured.

We are not sure if he died whilst still captured or whether he was released then died. 

He suffered from injuries of poor health it seems

Anyone that can assist in helping me would be grateful.

We are heading back to Thailand in 26th September to revisit the cemetery.

Kind Regards

Neil Bartlett

Views: 270

Comment by Sylvia on September 18, 2018 at 23:43

Have you seen his "MISSING, WOUNDED AND PRISONER OF WAR ENQUIRY CARD" from the Red Cross yet?


Given Name(s) or Initials: A J

Military Service Number or Last Known Location: NX54980

Missing, Wounded and Prisoner of War Enquiry Card Index Number: 36735

Link to the card (PDF format):

Comment by Debra on September 19, 2018 at 22:39

Hi Neil,

His service record:

After the allied surrender on 15 Feb 1942, the POWs were taken to Changi and then marched to Burma.  He "died of illness whilst POW (ulcers)" on 2 Dec 1943.

The last entry on his service record before he was recorded as missing shows that he was discharged to the General Base Depot from the 13th Australian General Hospital (AGH) on 10 Jan 1942.

Info about the 13 AGH here:

Between 21 and 23 November 1941, the 13th relocated to the Malayan mainland and occupied a newly-built, but not quite finished, mental hospital at Tampoi, six and a half kilometres from Johore Bahru. The 13th was still at Tampoi when the Japanese launched their invasion of Malaya on 8 December. Their rapid advance soon forced the withdrawal of the 10th Australian General hospital from Malacca to Singapore, leaving the 13th as the only Australian hospital in Malaya. As a result, it was ordered on 11 December to double its patient capacity to 1,200. At the time it only had 359 beds open; but by 18 December, 945 were in operation.

The 13th treated most of the casualties that resulted from the AIF's battles in Johore, and, as the fighting got closer, it effectively became a large-scale casualty clearing station - the most forward surgical unit in the army's medical organisation.

The nurses of the 13 AGH were those who were evacuted from Singapore in Feb 1942 on the Vyner Brooke.

The war diaries for the General Base Depot are here,  Jan/Feb 1942:

Info on his battalion, the 2/30th:

2/30th war diaries:


You need to be a member of RecordSearch Forum to add comments!

Join RecordSearch Forum

© 2022   Created by National Archives of Australia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an issue  |  Terms of Service