I have found my fathers Aust military records for the time he served between 1942 and 1946 but i am trying to find out if he had any medical issues at the time of service or if he made any subsequent claims for medical issues and treatment through veteran affairs.
He died in 1989.

Views: 378

Comment by Tonia (from NAA) on June 12, 2012 at 20:27

Hi Jennifer

All veteran's case files created since World War II are closed for public access under Section 33(1)(g) of the Archives Act 1983 as they contain sensitive personal and medical information, please see our fact sheet on these records for further information at http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs54.aspx

To obtain access to these records you will need to submit an application under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (FOI). You will need to contact the FOI Officer at the Department of Veterans’ Affairs directly. Their contact details are below.

FOI Officer
Department of Veterans’ Affairs
GPO Box 9998
Canberra ACT 2601

As your father is no longer alive and you are the direct next of kin, you may be granted access to the record through the FOI Act 1982.



NAA staff

Comment by Jennifer chittick on June 13, 2012 at 9:55
Tonia thanks for your advise, will get right on to it.
Limon i am new to all this so your support is encouraging. I will check out your blog, still trying to figure out all this new media forms.



You need to be a member of RecordSearch Forum to add comments!

Join RecordSearch Forum

© 2021   Created by National Archives of Australia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an issue  |  Terms of Service