I'm looking and searching the NAA for my father, he was court martial in February 1953, but I cannot find any other records of him in the archives, surley I thought I would find what date he joined the army, where do I go for this information. Who do I ask for help. cheers michelle

Views: 135

Comment by Tonia (from NAA) on March 26, 2013 at 14:29

Hi Michelle

The National Archives can help you obtain access to your father’s defence service records. You will need to submit an inquiry using the online form http://reftracker.naa.gov.au/reft100.aspx?key=06PostWarDefRef. His service record should provide information such as the date he joined, as well as detailed information about his postings.

You mention that he was court-martialled in February 1953. The National Archives of Australia should have a record relating to this court-martial, and you will be able to purchase a copy. If you wish to pursue this option, you can find the court martial record online by searching in NameSearch.

1. Go to http://naa.gov.au/collection/search/index.aspx
2. Select ‘Begin your search’
3. Select the green ‘NameSearch’ tab
4. Enter your father’s surname into the ‘Family name’ field and select Court martial from the options in the ‘Category or records’ drop down menu
5. Select ‘Search’
6. A list of court martial records for people with that surname will appear. Click on the one that relates to your father.
7. If you wish to purchase a copy, select ‘Request copy’
8. If the record has not been examined for public release (ie the access status is ‘Not yet examined’), you will need to submit an access application. Follow the prompts through the system to do this.

(NAA staff)


You need to be a member of RecordSearch Forum to add comments!

Join RecordSearch Forum

© 2019   Created by National Archives of Australia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an issue  |  Terms of Service