Finding My Great-Grandfather's Service Records

Hi. My name is Erinn, and I'm currently trying to locate some of my great-grandfather's service records. It's really important to me as I am currently researching my family tree, and I also plan on serving in the military in a few years time.

My great-grandfather's name was William John Spencer Harnden, and he served in the Australian Defence Force at some point between 1951 and 1972, as a part of the National Service Scheme. He was born on the 29th of April, 1934 in Australia (probably Victoria or South Australia). He died in 1994 from cancer, so I can't ask him about his time in the military.

I also have one of his medals at home, but it's only an anniversary medal, so it doesn't tell me anything other than that he served. Since he has passed, I am unable to ask him about his time in the military. I don't even know if he was deployed!

I have tried searching all the government websites that say they contain service records, but I can't find any record of him. I know that he was a private (as it said it on the box the medals were cased in). There are also some numbers on the box but I don't know what they mean. The box says:

ANSM 4278/02

Could someone please help me?

Views: 254

Comment by Michael Wenke on May 1, 2017 at 10:06


You can request access to your great grandfather's service record by following the link below and completing the form.

Comment by Debra on May 1, 2017 at 23:13

Service Number: 3744573


Anniversary of National Service Medal

Medal Number 4278/02

These were introduced in 2001 so someone in the family must have obtained it on his behalf.


You need to be a member of RecordSearch Forum to add comments!

Join RecordSearch Forum

© 2020   Created by National Archives of Australia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an issue  |  Terms of Service