Assisted Immigration Irene Anthea Hawkins 1971

Hi everyone,

I am trying to trace someone who emigrated to Australia in 1971. We believe that she may have married someone who accompanied her from the UK but don't have his name. We have found her record of landing in Australia but is there any way of a non Australian citizen trying to trace a person i.e. marriage, naturlisation etc. without actually visiting Australia.

Views: 176

Comment by Tonia (from NAA) on November 21, 2012 at 16:46

Hi Michael

I am sorry for not responding earlier to your post.  If Irene Anthea Hawkins came to Australian under a government assisted passage scheme, the National Archives of Australia may have documents relating to her selection for migration.  If she became a naturalised Australian, we should have her application for naturalisation.  These records are not all indexed online, so I recommend that you submit a reference inquiry using our online form at, and one of our reference officers will search the collection for you.  Please note, under the Archives Act 1983, the Archives can only release information that is in the open access period (for information see  We are currently releasing information from 1983 or earlier.

Regarding marriage information, each state and territory in Australia has a registry for births, deaths and marriages and maintain their own records. You can find a list of each registry online at However, because the possible marriage occurred within the last 50 years, you most likely won’t be able to get access to information.  I know, for example, in New South Wales, historical marriage information is only available after 50 years.  However, if Irene married prior to her seeking naturalisation, information about her marriage may be included in her naturalisation application.

Best of luck in your search



(NAA staff)

Comment by Michael Graham Price on January 28, 2013 at 5:39


Many thanks for the  details and following your advice I now have information of her immigration and possibly the name of her fiance. If I apply for her naturlisation records is it likely to contain much more information such as a residential address etc?

Comment by Tonia (from NAA) on January 29, 2013 at 11:35

Hi Michael

Naturalisation records usually contain quite a lot of information that the person provided to support their application for naturalisation, including date and place of birth, their current residential address and the date and place of arrival in Australia.  

If you wanted, you could see some examples of naturalisation records:

  1. Go to .
  2. Click on ‘Begin your search’.  
  3. Select the ‘Advanced search’ green tab and then select the ‘Items’ box.  
  4. In the keywords field enter ‘Naturalisation’, in both of the dates box enter 1971, and check the ‘Digital copies only’ box.  You will retrieve a number of naturalisation files, some of which date from the late 60s and early 70s.  
  5. On the left hand side of the screen change the ‘Display (20) search results’ box to 200 and click on the date range heading.  This will display all of your search results on the one page and then sort the list in date order.
  6. Scroll to the bottom of the list and you will see some example naturalisation files from the period you are interested in.



Comment by Michael Graham Price on January 29, 2013 at 23:10

Hi Tonia


Many thanks for that; it gives me a good idea of what I might find IF she applied for citizenship.

Again many thanks from a computer dinosaur like me!

Regards Michael


You need to be a member of RecordSearch Forum to add comments!

Join RecordSearch Forum

© 2019   Created by National Archives of Australia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an issue  |  Terms of Service