Lorraine Lawrence
  • Female
  • Barnsley South Yorkshire
  • United Kingdom
Share on Facebook Share

Lorraine Lawrence's friends

  • Debra

Lorraine Lawrence's Discussions

Searching for relatives that migrated to Australia from uk. what is the best line of enquiry
1 Reply

Further to my appeal yesterday, to find relatives, could anyone tell me what would be the best line of enquiry.Obviously uncle Stanley b 1926 and his wife aunty Lorna b1918 will be a good age now and…Continue

Started this discussion. Last reply by Tonia (from NAA) Oct 16, 2011.

Searching For relatives in Australia
1 Reply

 My uncle Stanley Jones Emigrated from Barnsley UK in Dec 1960, He I think initially went to Canberra, he was a heavy plant operator and his family were wife LORNA JONES, son HARRY STOREY and DAVID…Continue

Started this discussion. Last reply by Tonia (from NAA) Oct 16, 2011.


Lorraine Lawrence's Page

Comment Wall (2 comments)

At 5:33 on October 14, 2011, Lorraine Lawrence said…

Would be British Embassy in Australia have records of where immigrants from the UK went to on their arrival in Australia?


At 15:10 on October 16, 2011, Tonia (from NAA) said…

Hi Lorraine

I don't know the nature of the records that are held by the British High Commission, and I'm not sure if that is the kind of information they would keep unless British people are encouraged to register with the High Commission on arrival.  

If the person you are interested in came to Australia on an assisted passage, the National Archives may have the migrant selection documents for that person.  You may be able to find information on their destination in those records.  Also, if the person was eventually naturalised in Australia then we may have their application for naturalisation and it would document their location when they applied.  

The records of the National Archives are publicly available when the reach the open access period as defined by the Archives Act 1983 (we are currently releasing information that was created in 1981 or earlier).  If the information you are after is from 1981 or before, I suggest you submit a reference inquiry to our reference service using the online form: http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/forms/imm-inquiry.aspx

Best of luck searching 


(NAA staff)



You need to be a member of RecordSearch Forum to add comments!

Join RecordSearch Forum


© 2020   Created by National Archives of Australia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an issue  |  Terms of Service