I am finding the web site impossible to work out. I know a relative came on a ship (Red Jacket) in 1862 but I cannot find the way into the record of passengers names. I find I am going round in circles. At one point I did manage to get into the lists of ships and their passengers for 1962 and I probably took 6 hours to work through the original pages of passengers only to find that the ship wasn't in the lists. Very confusing. But since then I cannot even find where I got into the lists. It reminds me of a DOS structure, very clunky. The descriptions of the categories are full of jargon and not user friendly.....(For example is there a step by step explanation how to use Record Search anywhere on the web site?)

Any help gratefully received, thanks, Alexander. I include your schema of "advanced search" which really tells one nothing about actually how to do an advance search.

(Now suddenly when I want to post this I do not see a button saying "Post" or enter, but I am left with the possibility that "add discussion" is the button, I hope so, but I am not adding to a discussion... I am asking for help.... 

Views: 69

Attachments:

Reply to this

Replies to this discussion

I agree that it is completely confusing when you first try to look up stuff on the NAA site. But, this is also the case regarding e.g. NSW and QLD state archives and many foreign national archives. I believe a lot of it has to do with the historical way items were archived.
To understand these online sites, you need to spend a fair bit of time on learning how they work and how to navigate them. And yes it is a bit like learning a new operating system with much trial and error. It has taken me quite some time, but I can navigate the system fairly well now.

FYI The NAA has a (non digitized) record containing the registration of “Red Jacket” in Sep 1862. This was most likely a (91-100T) schooner from Sydney built for local trade - https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/111166695?searchTerm=%22...  
Is it possible that you might be looking for info reg the much larger clipper “Red Jacket” (1649T) from the White Star Line that was travelling between Liverpool and Melbourne?
N.B. I would not consider the NAA as my first choice for 19th century passenger lists, although they do have some incl ships logs (but not always digitized). My preference would be the state archives, Family Search, Ancestry etc.

rgds, Sylvia

Maybe this is what you are looking for .. it is the passenger list of the "Red Jacket" when it arrived in Melbourne in December 1862 :

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSKW-J86R

Thanks Sylvia, for your reply. I appreciate you taking the time.

Firstly, yes I am talking about the Red Jacket which was part of the White Star Line. 
Consequently I found the relative on that vessel. Thank you.

I have been researching my great grandfather for about a year now and spent ages, very profitably, on Trove and so I know it well.

I have also found that the Qld public resources are very helpful. (eg: https://www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au

once more thank you

Alex

RSS

© 2021   Created by National Archives of Australia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an issue  |  Terms of Service