My Great Uncle who was my Paternal Grandfathers Brother was born in Orsa Dalarna Sweden Sept 25 1887 and according to records from Sweden he left the Parish for Australia December 8 1910. His name was Anders Dahl and his Father was Hans Hansson and Mother Kerstin Ersdotter. In Sweden at the time the place of residence determined the persons surname so Anders Hansson became Anders Dahl, however, I have no way of knowing what variation of his name Anders used. It could have been Anders Hansson Dahl or Dal and when his name was recorded Hansson could have been spelled differently as well. The only information I have is a story from my Father that his Father had a Brother who had died in Australia and the Swedish Parish records indicate that Anders did intend to travel to Australia.  I have searched the records on this site without success and unfortunately the database does not have a complete record for everyone that migrated to Australia.  Without further evidence I cannot be certain Anders even made it to Australia, however, the Parish records and the comment by my Grandfather about his death make it more probable that Anders did travel to Australia and died their. I did find on another site the death notice of an "A.Dahl" 1911 posted in the Queensland Government Gazette, Queensland Australia and the Fathers name if I recall matched , however, the Mothers name was different and I have not been able to confirm if this was our Anders.  I do not know the year Anders died other than it would have been prior to my Grandfathers death on March 13 1955. I will continue my search as my own Father is going to be 91 years of age next month and I was hoping to solve this Family mystery prior to his death.  Thank you to anyone that may have any suggestions on what else I could do to find out what happened to Anders is greatly appreciated. Best regards John Dahl and have a really nice day!  

Views: 52

Reply to this

Replies to this discussion

According to information I have found on the internet on the website Find My Past, the Queensland Intestacy Returns Index 1896-1916 have been licensed from the Queensland Family History Society Inc.  I am in the process and have inquired about how to obtain copies of those records. The source was the Queensland Gazette, Townsville Court Intestacy records as they may pertain to Anders Hansson Dahl Born in Sweden Sept 25 1887 and left Sweden as per Swedish Parish records  Dec 8 1910 to emigrate to Australia.  My Grandfather had spoken of a Brother that had died in Australia year unknown, however, our Family has no other information other than this and we are searching to find out what happened to Anders, such as confirmation of his death, how he died and where he is buried and the following from the Queensland Gazette might be our Anders. The information is from Queensland Australia Intestacy returns 1896 to 1916 Transcription. Subcategory Wills and Probate, there are several dates and records all from the Court in Townsville, Death Location Friezland,  First Name Anders Hansen Last name Dahl , birth place Sweden,  date Sept 10 1914,  Page 1010, volume CIII, date Apr 21 1915, page 1156 Volume CIV and date Sept 30 1915 Page 918 Volume CV as evidently the information was posted every six months in the Gazette. Hansen as it was spelled online from this record is different from the actual spelling of his name which was spelled Anders Hansson Dahl.  From what I have read the Township where this Anders had died was originally named Gluatten then Friezland , however, due to anti German sentiment during WWI the name was changed to Kuridala which is to be the Aboriginal word for the Eagle Hawk. From what I have read online Kuridala, once a thriving mining town is all but abandoned and the lonely cemetery there could potentially be where Anders is buried.  

Many Thanks for any assistance you are able to offer and have a really nice day!

According to information I have found on the internet on the website Find My Past, the Queensland Intestacy Returns Index 1896-1916 have been licensed from the Queensland Family History Society Inc.  I am in the process and have inquired about how to obtain copies of those records. The source was the Queensland Gazette, Townsville Court Intestacy records as they may pertain to Anders Hansson Dahl Born in Sweden Sept 25 1887 and left Sweden as per Swedish Parish records  Dec 8 1910 to emigrate to Australia.  My Grandfather had spoken of a Brother that had died in Australia year unknown, however, our Family has no other information other than this and we are searching to find out what happened to Anders, such as confirmation of his death, how he died and where he is buried and the following from the Queensland Gazette might be our Anders. The information is from Queensland Australia Intestacy returns 1896 to 1916 Transcription. Subcategory Wills and Probate, there are several dates and records all from the Court in Townsville, Death Location Friezland,  First Name Anders Hansen Last name Dahl , birth place Sweden,  date Sept 10 1914,  Page 1010, volume CIII, date Apr 21 1915, page 1156 Volume CIV and date Sept 30 1915 Page 918 Volume CV as evidently the information was posted every six months in the Gazette. Hansen as it was spelled online from this record is different from the actual spelling of his name which was spelled Anders Hansson Dahl.  From what I have read the Township where this Anders had died was originally named Gluatten then Friezland , however, due to anti German sentiment during WWI the name was changed to Kuridala which is to be the Aboriginal word for the Eagle Hawk. From what I have read online Kuridala, once a thriving mining town is all but abandoned and the lonely cemetery there could potentially be where Anders is buried.  

Many Thanks for any assistance you are able to offer and have a really nice day!

RSS

© 2018   Created by National Archives of Australia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an issue  |  Terms of Service