Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can tell me about records. I have found my parents record and had it opened, however, it doesn't tell me when they arrived in Australia and how etc. For other relatives, it states what date they arrived and how they arrived. Is there any way to access this information for my parents?

Views: 299

Reply to this

Replies to this discussion

Hi Natasha

I apologise for the delay in responding to your posting.  The type of information in a record, depends on what the record was originally created for.  I am not sure what the record is that you have found. If you could provide me with more details about the record you have had opened, I may be able to advise why there isn't more information on the file.

There are a number of different types of immigration records.  At the most basic type of information we have passenger lists (incoming and outgoing) which provide basic information on the people who arrived or departed from Australia.  We have these for ships and aircraft.  There are also migrant selection documents for people who applied to migrate to Australia under assisted passage schemes, or as displaced persons after the war.  The bulk of our holdings relate to post-war.   We also have naturalisation and citizenship records when people applied to become naturalised as Australians.  For more information on immigration records held by the National Archives, see http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/explore/migration/index.aspx

Regards

Tonia

NAA staff

RSS

© 2022   Created by National Archives of Australia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an issue  |  Terms of Service