I am looking for information on Patrick McCauley. He was born in Donegal, Ireland in 1832. He married Rose Lynch in South Australia in 1856. I cannot find which year he came to Australia and whether he came alone or with parents. He had a son James Henry McCauley born 1865 in South Australia. Thankyou

Views: 79

Reply to this

Replies to this discussion

Di,  I have posted you some replies on the blog you posted on the same family which includes his immigration & shipping record

I can also check the births in South Australia and his death if needed - just let me know what info you are looking for other than what I have already posted on the blog

Elizabeth

Thankyou so much Elizabeth for the information on Patrick McCauley. Your offer to help  with his birth would  be very much appreciated.

Di

Di,  It seems that had a large family in South Australia according to a My Heritage site listing I have found but none of the childrens births are listed on the official BDM Index

I have found the marriage and Roses death but still checking for Patricks death/burial details - will get back as soon as possible

Elizabeth

Thankyou

Di,  As yet I have been unable to find their cemetery details

Digger - South Australian Marriages, Registrations 1842-

Groom: MCCAULY

Given names: Patrick

Bride: LYNCH

Given names: Rose

Date: 1856-11-27

Groom Age: 22

Groom's Father: John MCCAULY

Bride Age: 19

Bride's Father: Patrick LYNCH

Place: St Patrick Adelaide

District: Ade

Book/Page: 28/261

No birth listed for a son James Henry in 1865 and in fact no births listed in SA for this couple at all under any spellings of the surname

Death of Rose

Digger - South Australian Deaths Registrations 1842 to 1915

Surname: MCCAULEY

Given Names: Rose Ann

Date: 1908-08-03

Relative: Patrick MCCAULEY (H)

Residence: Para Plains

Death Place: Para Plains

District Code: PtG

Book: 335

Page: 115

Death for Patrick

died 23rd June 1918 aged 86 years.

Residence: SALISBURY PLAIN

Death Place: PROSPECT

Dist: ADE

Bk: 419

Pg: 413 – no other info.

-------------------------------------------------------

there is a family tree on Ancestry for this couple but it appears to have many errors so won't post the details

The tree on My Heritage stated that Patrick was born in Donegal and Rose in Cavan in Ireland

Will let you know if I find the cemetery details

Elizabeth

Thankyou,  I really appreciate your efforts.

Di

Di,  A bit more information

From Trove –

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/5566659?searchTerm=mccau...

Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1889 - 1931), Monday 24 June 1918, page 2

McCAULEY.-THE FRIENDS of the late Mr. PATRICK McCAULEY are informed that his Funeral will leave the residence of his daughter (Mrs. Blanc), Victoria-street, Prospect on MONDAY, at 1.30. arriving at the Catholic Cemetery, Salisbury, at 3.30.

GEO. DOWNS & SON, Undertakers. Telephone 735. .Jeffcott-street. North Adelaide

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/5566653?searchTerm=mccau...

Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1889 - 1931), Monday 24 June 1918, page 4

McCAULEY.- On the 23rd,. June,, at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Blanc, Victoria street. Prospect, Patrick McCauley, aged 86 years. Rest in peace. Amen.

Here’s his wife’s funeral notice –

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/60319130?searchTerm=mcca...

So both buried at the Catholic Cemetery, Salisbury but I cannot find their listing on the cemetery site so maybe missing or under a strange spelling of the surname

Elizabeth

Thankyou Elizabeth the information you provided has helped me a great deal. I think that I  will need to get Patricks birth certificate/census details from Ireland for information on his parents. Is this done through the UK or do I need to find it through Ireland.

Di

Di,  Well you have his age & his fathers name from his marriage records so that is a start

Maybe one of these sites would be useful - I don't know what years the Irish census are available online but you could try a google search

It is not easy getting Irish records as so many were lost over the years but there are a few that have come on line that might help

RSS

© 2018   Created by National Archives of Australia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an issue  |  Terms of Service