Hello from Canada. I am trying to find any information available about my late great-uncle, James Love Moffat Harvey. He was born in Glasgow, Scotland on 29/10/1904 and emigrated to Australia from Scotland in 1950. All we know about him is that he was our Dad's oldest uncle (paternal) and he sailed from Tilbury to Melbourne on board the Rauchi on 11/10/1950 when he was 45, and that he died in Wonthaggi, Victoria in 1970. If anyone can search Austalian records for me, that would be terrific. Thank you in advance! Cathy Burke Harvey

Views: 36

Reply to this

Replies to this discussion

Cathy,   What information do you need about James?   Have you purchased a copy of his death certificate which may list if he married or had children?

I can check his death registration if needed but cannot check for any marriage after 1950 in Victoria

If he is listed on the electoral rolls I can also check where he lived and his occupation and also try & find out where he is buried

Please let me know what you need

Elizabeth

Hello Elizabeth, Thank you so very much for replying to my post. I really am looking for a needle in a haystack I fear, trying to trace my father's birth family. We know his Uncle James (his adopted father's oldest brother) emigrated to Australia in 1950 and that he died there in 1970 but know nothing more about him. I'm trying to find as much free information before hiring a genealogist in Scotland to do some more digging for us. We only learned a short while ago his parents and brothers weren't his birth family but my sister and I both suspect his mother was most likely his birth mother for a number of reasons. (It's a long story and I wouldn't want to bore you).

So anything you can find on our Great Uncle James Love Moffat Harvey would be appreciated.

Cathy,  Leave it with me and I will see what I can find

will get back to you as soon as possible

Elizabeth

Cathy,   He is not showing up in the electoral rolls under his full name so I can't be sure if he is listed or not but a copy of his death certificate may have more information

Digger - Death Index. Victoria 1921-1985

Surname: HARVEY
Given Names: James Love Moffet
Father: James
Mother: Barbara Love  MOFFET
Death Place: Wonthaggi
Year: 1970
Reg Number: 16241
Event: Death

You can purchase a copy of his death certificate on the following link - hopefully it would include his burial place and if he was married or not (no guarantees)

https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/search-your-...

Birth - Scotland 1904
HARVEY James Love Moff
M
562/ 517
Eastwood

Parents marriage - 1900
MARRIAGE: Scotland

MOFFAT Barbara L to
HARVEY James
663/2 17
Carriden

Family on the 1901 Scottish census

James Harvey in the 1901 Scotland Census

Name: James Harvey
Estimated birth year: abt 1866
Relationship: Head
Spouse's name : Barbara Harvey
Where born: Ireland
Registration Number: 562/2
Registration district: Eastwood Landward
Civil Parish: Eastwood
Town: Pollokshaws
County: Renfrewshire
Address: 176 King St
ED: 13
Household schedule number: 51
LINE: 6
Roll: CSSCT1901_192
Household Members:
Name Age
James Harvey 35
Barbara Harvey 27
Robert C Harvey 2 Mo

His mothers birth

Barbara Love Moffat
Scotland Births and Baptisms
Other information in the record of Barbara Love Moffat

from Scotland Births and Baptisms

Name Barbara Love Moffat
Gender Female
Birth Date 25 Aug 1873
Birthplace CARRIDEN,WEST LOTHIAN,SCOTLAND
Father's Name James Moffat
Mother's Name Margaret Robertson

Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

Indexing Project (Batch) Number C11664-1
System Origin Scotland-ODM
GS Film number 6035516

Citing this Record
"Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQHG-YLB : 2 January 2015), Barbara Love Moffat, 25 Aug 1873; citing CARRIDEN,WEST LOTHIAN,SCOTLAND, reference , index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City; FHL microfilm 6,035,516.

Cathy,  Did you get my last post on James Love Moffat HARVEY in this thread?  dated 21st November

Elizabeth

RSS

© 2017   Created by National Archives of Australia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an issue  |  Terms of Service