My brother Colin Murchie was born 24/4/1937 to Dorothy Snow and adopted by James and Maggie Murchie. They lived in South Australia for a few years then moved to NSW. James was born in Durbin South Africa. I cannot find any trace of the family in Australia after 1949.
Colin died in Kimberly Norther Cape South Africa on 14/1/2000.
I would like to know when and how they left Australia and did they go to South Africa. According to one record he had a wife, Adelaide Mary King.
Did they gave children?
Where and when did they marry?
I cannot find any record of James and Maggie Murchie after 1949. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Views: 187

Reply to this

Replies to this discussion

James Murchie b 5 Jul 1891 Durban (NAA records) or 1886 (death record), d 15 Aug 1957 Pretoria

first wife: Emily Wilson d abt 1924

second wife: Magdalena Johanna van Aardt (still alive in 1957)

-

children:

Alexander Murchie

James Allan Murchie

Sheena Murchie

Colin Murchie

-

Notes:

- Colin’s wife was definitely called Adelaide Mary King. At the time of Colin’s probate, she was still alive and living in Labram (Kimberly)

- One or more of the children of James’ first marriage could have stayed in Australia: There was a James Allan Murchie “late of Padstow Heights” who passed away on 19 January 1995, Aged 76 years: http://www.heavenaddress.com/restingplace/james-allan-murchie/669589  There is an Annette Murchie who could be his daughter:   http://boards.ancestry.com.au/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=88&p=su...

- Finally, James Murchie’s probate:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9KJ-WSVL?mode=g&i...

(i#481)

Sylvia

Daughter Sheena had stayed in Australia as well:

South Australian Marriages, Registrations 1917-1937

Groom: SAUNDERS

Given names: Cyril George

Bride: MURCHIE

Given names: Sheena Agnes

Date: 1932-06-07

Groom Age: 25

Groom's Father: George Edgar SAUNDERS

Bride Age: 20

Bride's Father: James MURCHIE

Place: Registry Office Adelaide

District: Ade

Symbol: S

Book/Page: 332/211

-

“Sheena Agnes Saunders (Murchie)” born 10/04/1914, died 13/01/2000 and was cremated at Altona Memorial Park (VIC)

Thankyou Sylvia for that info. How could I find out when James Murchie (born 1891) arrived in Australia and when they went to South Africa.
I am trying to find out about Colin's movements. He being adopted by James in 1937 and James dying in South Africa in 1957. Did Colin have children. I have found it very hard using the South African records. Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated. 6 children were adopted out by Dorothy Snow and we have either had contact with 5 or have their information. Colin is the elusive one! Di

Dianne,

I don't think there is much more to find online. This is the exact reason why I gave you information re the wider family as from this point onward you'll need to start contacting possible family members for more information.

- The ancestry link I had given previously contains the email address (2014) for Annette Murchie (James Murchie's granddaughter)

- Colin's place of death was the Strand, so there is a fair chance that these are his widows current contact details: http://www.whitepages.co.za/search/murchi+am

Sylvia

Hi Dianne

I've been posting this everywhere I can in the hope that you will see it.

Colin Murchie was my father-in-law.  He passed away suddenly on 14/1/2000 from a coronary thrombosis while he and my mom--in-law, Addie (Adelaide) were on holiday in the Strand.  They were living in Kimberley at the time as Dad was the minister of Trinity Methodist Church.  Mom returned to the Strand after Dad's death and still lives there now.  She is 80.  Dad would've been 80 just over a week ago...  Dad passed away without ever knowing that he was adopted.  Mom doesn't know either, and I'd like to keep it that way, at least for now.  Both James and Maggie Murchie requested that it be kept secret, but his brother Alexander's (Lex) daughter and I know.  She, Dorothy Dodd (nee Murchie) has the letter written by Maggie Murchie just before she died, requesting that it not be made know till 'that generation' had passed on.

Colin and Addie had three sons:  James Frank:  16/08/1962 - 16/10/2006 (my late husband)

Grant Harton:   21/11/1967  and

Francois Colin: 07//02/1969

Francois has three children:        Amber-Leigh Yandle:  02/05/2002 by Sarah Yandle. 

They are currently engaged and live in Wales  and

Donovan and Dominique (twins)  :  07/12/1994

James & I have two:                   Leigh-Ann Michelle:  25/03/1995  and 

Colin:                      09/10/2002

Grant is married to Rochelle, but they have no children as yet.  Francois was married to Carmen Marais, but they have subsequently divorced.

I would love to hear from you as the information you have provided on this forum has proved invaluable.  I would also like to know more about your mom and the rest of your family.

RSS

© 2017   Created by National Archives of Australia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an issue  |  Terms of Service