James Murchie b 5 Jul 1891 Durban (NAA records) or 1886 (death record), d 15 Aug 1957 Pretoria
first wife: Emily Wilson d abt 1924
second wife: Magdalena Johanna van Aardt (still alive in 1957)
James Allan Murchie
- Colin’s wife was definitely called Adelaide Mary King. At the time of Colin’s probate, she was still alive and living in Labram (Kimberly)
- One or more of the children of James’ first marriage could have stayed in Australia: There was a James Allan Murchie “late of Padstow Heights” who passed away on 19 January 1995, Aged 76 years: http://www.heavenaddress.com/restingplace/james-allan-murchie/669589 There is an Annette Murchie who could be his daughter: http://boards.ancestry.com.au/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=88&p=su...
- Finally, James Murchie’s probate:
Daughter Sheena had stayed in Australia as well:
South Australian Marriages, Registrations 1917-1937
Given names: Cyril George
Given names: Sheena Agnes
Groom Age: 25
Groom's Father: George Edgar SAUNDERS
Bride Age: 20
Bride's Father: James MURCHIE
Place: Registry Office Adelaide
“Sheena Agnes Saunders (Murchie)” born 10/04/1914, died 13/01/2000 and was cremated at Altona Memorial Park (VIC)
I don't think there is much more to find online. This is the exact reason why I gave you information re the wider family as from this point onward you'll need to start contacting possible family members for more information.
- The ancestry link I had given previously contains the email address (2014) for Annette Murchie (James Murchie's granddaughter)
- Colin's place of death was the Strand, so there is a fair chance that these are his widows current contact details: http://www.whitepages.co.za/search/murchi+am
I've been posting this everywhere I can in the hope that you will see it.
Colin Murchie was my father-in-law. He passed away suddenly on 14/1/2000 from a coronary thrombosis while he and my mom--in-law, Addie (Adelaide) were on holiday in the Strand. They were living in Kimberley at the time as Dad was the minister of Trinity Methodist Church. Mom returned to the Strand after Dad's death and still lives there now. She is 80. Dad would've been 80 just over a week ago... Dad passed away without ever knowing that he was adopted. Mom doesn't know either, and I'd like to keep it that way, at least for now. Both James and Maggie Murchie requested that it be kept secret, but his brother Alexander's (Lex) daughter and I know. She, Dorothy Dodd (nee Murchie) has the letter written by Maggie Murchie just before she died, requesting that it not be made know till 'that generation' had passed on.
Colin and Addie had three sons: James Frank: 16/08/1962 - 16/10/2006 (my late husband)
Grant Harton: 21/11/1967 and
Francois Colin: 07//02/1969
Francois has three children: Amber-Leigh Yandle: 02/05/2002 by Sarah Yandle.
They are currently engaged and live in Wales and
Donovan and Dominique (twins) : 07/12/1994
James & I have two: Leigh-Ann Michelle: 25/03/1995 and
Grant is married to Rochelle, but they have no children as yet. Francois was married to Carmen Marais, but they have subsequently divorced.
I would love to hear from you as the information you have provided on this forum has proved invaluable. I would also like to know more about your mom and the rest of your family.