Hello to all

I am researching my great grandfather John Street b 1875 Coal Aston, Chesterfield, England.

He migrated to Brisbane, Aust, in 1911 along with his family. It is said he abandoned his children into foster care and joined the forces  under an assumed name. He tried looking for John Thomas (was also known as) and also Jack Street.  Where do I go from here ? 

Views: 98

Reply to this

Replies to this discussion

If you cannot find him under those assumed names it is possible he used yet another name to sign up

If he used his correct birth date and place you can check the Australian War memorial site for those killed in action and try and match up  his known birth date & place.

Not sure if you can list links on this forum but the War memorial site is on www.awm.gov.au

Elizabeth

Thank you so much for your quick response.  I have started to look at the 20,000 people KIA tonit. It is so time consuming  as you can image. As I am still working I'm finding it hard to keep my eyes glued to the screen. I'm up to 1480. I still have a long way to go.

cheers

Hi Michelle,

You can search the RecordSearch catalogue for known info by using the 'Advanced Search' option (tab at the top of the page).  Click on 'Items' at the bottom of the pyramid and on the next page in the 'Series number' field put B2455.  This is the series number for WW1 service records only.  In the 'Keywords in item title' field you can put any word that you might think would be associated with his catalogue entry, such as birthplace or next of kin.

As you probably know, the catalogue entries for WW1 service records give place of birth, place of enlistment and next of kin, so you can use any of the words associated with these as your keyword to find all of the men born in a particular place or who enlisted in a particular place.  Don't forget to try both 'Derby' and 'Derbyshire' and other counties he was associated with even if they aren't his actual birth county.

Many men used family names as an alias rather than a random surname so make a list of all the names you can think of - wife's maiden name, in laws, mother's maiden name etc.  Someone we found recently was using his sister's married surname!  This also applies to looking at who was named as next of kin.

Unfortunately the 'AIF Project' website is no longer available but they were maintaining a list of known aliases.  A PDF of their list is still available here but unfortunately your chap is not on there. http://tinyurl.com/lgyf2e3

Debra

RSS

© 2019   Created by National Archives of Australia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an issue  |  Terms of Service