I am trying to find out what my deceased Mother & Father's medals were. They were both Army WWII and I'd like to get them copied as they have been lost, and my daughter is in the Army now .

My daughter is in the Army now and would love to wear her grandparents medals on her chest when she marches on Anzac Day.

Views: 185

Reply to this

Replies to this discussion

Hi Joanne

You can get information about medal entitlements from:

Defence Honours and Awards T–1–49, Department of Defence
Canberra ACT 2600
Please note, the Department of Defence only award replacement medals to the service personnel who were awarded them.  They will be able to advise you which medals the service person was entitled to and then you can purchase replica medals from a medals dealer or a commercial military memorabilia outlet.

For more information about the Department of Defence's replacement medal policy, please seehttp://www.defence.gov.au/medals/Content/+050%20Honours%20Policy/+0...

You can search for the WWII service records of your daughter's grandparents using our database - the names of all people who served in the Defence forces in WWI and WWII have all been listed. 

1. Go to http://naa.gov.au/collection/using/search/, click on the 'NameSearch' tab and enter the service person's family name. 

2. Select the category of records you are looking for from the drop down box. and click search. 

3. If you have a reasonably common name that retrieves a lot of search results, you will be given an option to refine your search, using either given names or service number. 

4. If you would like to purchase a copy of the record, click on the 'Request copy' button and follow the prompts.  If you see an icon that looks like a document - it means there is already a digital copy of the record available for the item - just click on the icon to see the real thing!

NAA staff


© 2020   Created by National Archives of Australia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an issue  |  Terms of Service