Hi, I'm looking for more detail on my great uncle service record #407990. What I'm trying to find is his movements since he enlisted until his death (where was he stationed, trained, units etc) The records dont tell me just the basic facts of birth and enlistment. Can anyone guide me through this maze?

Many thanks, Craig.

Views: 237

Reply to this

Replies to this discussion

Dear Craig

I searched on the Basic search screen using the service number 407990 and it pulls up 3 files which mention Colin Robert Scott:

His RAAF personnel file:

A9301, 407990, SCOTT COLIN ROBERT : Service Number - 407990 : Date of birth - 09 Sep 1910 : Place of birth - PRAHRAN VIC : Place of enlistment - ADELAIDE : Next of Kin - SCOTT MAY

Two RAAF casualty files:

A705, 163/160/166, SCOTT Colin Robert - (Sergeant); Service Number - 407990; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Hampden AT181; Place - North Sea; Date - 21 February 1942

A705, 1163/100/176, DAVEY John James - (Sergeant); Service Number - 400751; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Hampden AT 181; Place - South West Germany; Date - 21 February 1942 [Colin Robert Scott is mentioned on the file]

These files have not yet been digitised. You can purchase copies of these online by logging on to RecordSearch, undertaking the search mentioned above on the Basic search screen and then following through the steps to request a copy for each item.

Regards

Hilary

(Administrator)

Thanks Hilary. As mentioned I was after more details of his service record..where he was posted (i believe he trained in airforce in Canada) and his movements after that.

any ideas?

Craig.

Craig

His personnel file will have the basics of his service - which units he was attached to, where he was posted etc.

Regards

Hilary

Thanks again Hilary. The online personnel file doesnt give this information. Does this mean the full version can be obtained?

regards

Craig

Craig

All that is on RecordSearch for the 3 items relevant to you are the item descriptions (the equivalent of a library catalogue entry). The files the item descriptions refer to have not yet been digitised and loaded online. (All Army World War I files have been digitised and loaded online, but for World War II, only those files that have been requested by researchers have been digitised.) 

To see examples of digitised RAAF files (which I have chosen at random), do a search on the Advanced search screen, choose Items and then enter in the barcode box:

4554097, 4554172, 4262087, 30836219

Then when you see the item description there will be an icon of a sheaf of papers in the Digitised item column. You click on the icon and the file contents will be displayed.

You can purchase copies of the three files relating to your relative (the first two are likely to be the most relevant if you do not want to pay for three). You purchase these online by logging on to RecordSearch, search on the Basic search screen by entering 407990 in the Keywords box and then following through the steps to request a copy for each item.

Here is part of our standard text on purchasing copies (modified slightly to meet your needs):

How to purchase online copies

You can also order an online digital copy only on a record (without a print copy). If you order an online copy only, an image of each page of the record is made available for public viewing in our online collection database RecordSearch, accessed through our website. Online digital copies can be ordered for a fee through the National Archives website.

Charges for digital copies of whole files made available through RecordSearch (AUD)

Within Australia
(includes GST)

Ordered from overseas (GST free)

Standard files

$16.50

$15.00

Large files

$38.50

$35.00

Purchasing digital copies online

You can purchase a print copy online through our secure e-commerce facility from our website (www.naa.gov.au)

1. Click on the RecordSearch link on the right hand side of our home page
  2. On the RecordSearch entry page, choose ‘Search now’ as a guest
  3. On the Basic search screen enter 407990 in the Keywords box and press Enter
  4. Locate the item you are looking for, click on the ‘Control Symbol’ and select the ‘Request Copy’ button. Select ‘Continue’, choose the type of copy you would like ‘Printed copy’ or ‘Digital copy’ and select update basket
  5. If you have more than one item to order click on ‘Back to search results’ at the bottom of the screen
  6. The total charge for your order, will be displayed
  7. Click on ‘Continue’ and follow the instructions displayed

Or you can purchase a print copy as follows:

How to purchase print copies

Colour print copies of records in the National Archives collection are available for a fee. Orders can be lodged online. We aim to supply colour print copies of records that are available for public access within 30 days of receiving your payment. However, during periods of high demand we may take more than 30 days to process your request. When you order a print copy, at no additional cost a digital copy of the record will be made available for public viewing in our online collection database RecordSearch, accessible through our website. The following charges apply to colour print copies of files from the Archives collection.

Charges for print copies of whole files (includes postage) (AUD)

Within Australia
(includes GST)

Ordered from overseas (GST free)

Standard files

$25.00

$28.00

Large files

$48.00

$50.00

Purchasing print copies online

You can purchase a print copy online through our secure e-commerce facility from our website (www.naa.gov.au)

1. Click on the RecordSearch link on the right hand side of our home page
  2. On the RecordSearch entry page, choose ‘Search now’ as a guest
  3. On the Basic search screen enter 407990 in the Keywords box and press Enter
  4. Locate the item you are looking for, click on the ‘Control Symbol’ and select the ‘Request Copy’ button.
  5. Select ‘Continue’, choose the type of copy you would like ‘Printed copy’ or ‘Digital copy’ and select update basket
      1. If you have more than one item to order click on ‘Back to search results’ at the bottom of the screen
      2. The total charge for your photocopy order, including postage, will be displayed
      3. Click on ‘Continue’ and follow the instructions displayed

Regards

Hilary

RSS

© 2019   Created by National Archives of Australia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an issue  |  Terms of Service