Hello I am searching for any information/details of my father in law (presumed deceased).  His name was John Hammond aka John Fairhall Hammond. He was born we believe on the 6th June 1904. It is stated on his service record that he was born at Waratah, Tasmania however so far no other details have yet been located. His spouse was Una Constance Hammond  nee Bartlett) dec.  There were 7 children to the marriage including my late husband Lawrence the last born.  His father served in WW2 and his service number is VX 39540. We are searching for family history purposes.  regards from Rosemarie Hammond

Views: 109

Reply to this

Replies to this discussion

Rosemary,  You have posted this in the Feedback section of the National Archives - would be better in the lookup forum as more people will see it

There is no birth listed in Tasmania for a John HAMMOND for that date - dates & places on war records can be unreliable

Have you got a copy of his marriage certificate from Victoria which might have parents names listed if you are lucky

Digger - Marriage Index. Victoria 1921-1942

Family Name: HAMMOND

Given Name: Jno

Spouse Family Name: BARTLETT

Spouse Given Name: Constance Una

Registration Year: 1927

Registration Number: 8613

Event: Marriage

-------------

There is a John F HAMMOND listed in the Victorian electoral rolls up to 1973 and Una is also listed several times

Without his parents names it would be difficult to know which death if any was his if he died in Victoria

His wifes death in Victoria if you need it - I wonder if he remarried?

Digger - Death Index. Victoria 1921-1985

Surname: HAMMOND

Given Names: Una Constance

Father: Bartlett Geo

Mother: Clara Const  SCHRAM

Death Place: Frankston

Year: 1945

Reg Number: 16709

Event: Death

Elizabeth

hi Elizabeth thank you for trying to assist me in my search for family history. I do have the records you have offered me.  re the marriage certificate - not have this yet but a brother in law (dec) stated that he saw it and that john's father was just as Hammond and the mother was 'Francis' no surname. The name Fairhall could be a name taken on as we have heard john Hammond may have been adopted (out). the other item of interest I have is that John may have had two sisters one of them is said to be Nora or Norah Hammond and that she may have married into the Bush family of the Geelong area at the time. there are many Fairhalls and Hammonds in waratah Tasmania.  it might be john never had much family information. I will check the electoral rolls again.  thanks again I am very new to all this internet connecting -  rosemarie

Rosemarie,  I am wondering if Nora was a nickname - found this record which seems to fit re: dates & places

Digger - Death Index. Victoria 1921-1985

Surname: BUSH

Given Names: Gladys Victoria

Father: Hammond Unknow

Mother: UNKNOWN

Death Place: GEELONG

Year: 1974

Reg Number: 30019

Event: Death

I will see if I can find her birth

update: no luck with birth as yet but here is her marriage in Victoria if she is the right lady

Digger - Marriage Index. Victoria 1921-1942

Family Name: HAMMOND

Given Name: Gladys Victoria

Spouse Family Name: BUSH

Spouse Given Name: Leonard Victor

Registration Year: 1927

Registration Number: 2745

Re-registration Year: Event Year: Registration Type

Event: Marriage

Elizabeth

Rosemarie,  I have found the birth of Gladys Victoria HAMMOND in Victoria in 1901 - she was born illegitimate as Gladys Victoria STONE - Mother Harriet STONE

Birth registered under both names - not sure if any connection to the family you are looking for but you never know

Digger - Federation Index. Victoria 1889-1901

Surname: HAMMOND

Given Names: Gladys Vic

Event: Birth

Spouse Surname/Father: Unknown

Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Hart STONE

Birth Place: ST KILDA

Year: 1901

Reg. Number: 6907R

Surname: STONE

Given Names: Gladys Vic

Event: Birth