I am looking for her family of origin - without much success - can anyone help

Views: 210

Reply to this

Replies to this discussion

Judith,   I found a family tree online that has little info but it does state that Elwyn was married to Herbert Arthur HEAZLEWOOD

do you know what date they married?

There is a marriage for a Herbert Arthur HEAZLEWOOD in Victoria but it is not to Elwyn so he might have been previously married

do you have any further info such as their deaths?

Elizabeth

thanks for your reply  - I know much about the Heazlewoods - Elwyn Elizabeth was married to Herbert Arthur Heazlewood Tasmania 1900  (aged 21)- she died in Launceston 1945.He died circa 1941  The Heazlewood family are well recorded.  however -

a) on her marriage certificate it is recorded father Percival Hood mother Elizabeth (no name given)  b) born at  St Kilda usual residence Sydney-  now (family stories)over the years Elwyn always referred to her maiden name as Hood-Hamilton - she had come from Sydney - and she was a daughter/granddaughter of a doctor?  

. So far I haven't managed to find a) her birth certificate or b) her parents marriage Hood and Elizabeth?

it is this Hood-Hamilton name that is a puzzle.    No I haven't called for a full death certificate yet (from my own previous experience sometimes they are not always correct - with past information)  

the birth certificate of Elizabeth Hamilton at Longford I have dismissed - just coincidental?    once again thanks Elizabeth    regards Judy 

Judy,  I agree that death certificates don't always contain correct info but marriage certificates aren't always correct for one reason & another

The birth in Tasmania matches very well with her name, age, parents names - it is also possible that she might have been born in St Kilda but the birth was registered in Tasmania if the family moved there

Then there is the surname HOOD for her mother - she could have well have just made up this combination surname as there is no record of it anywhere else

The addition ot Elwyn to her name may have been because she liked the name, not because it was her birth name - rather strange as it is a boys name

My Tasmanian Federation CD is not working at the moment but can you tell me what surname she married under?

I really feel that the birth registered in Tasmania is correct - we spent many hours looking at this family in 2009 trying to sort it out

Sorry I didn't get a notification that you had replied to my message - only found this accidentally

This is the birth from the Tasmanian Pioneers BDM Index

Digger - Tasmanian Pioneer Index 1803-1899

Surname: HAMILTON
Given Names: ELIZABETH HOOD
Event: Birth
Father/Spouse Surname: PERCY RICHARDSO
Mother/Spouse Given Names: HOOD ELIZABETH
Day: 03
Month: 3
Year: 1878
Sex: Female
Registration Place: LONGFORD
Registration Number: 1035/1878
Reference: RGD 33

Elizabeth

Judith,  What is strange is that there is no record of a Percy Richardson HAMILTON in Tasmania other than the birth of the child Elizabeth  in 1878 and none in Victoria regarding a marriage or any other childrens births - checked the Electoral Rolls and nothing showing up under that name

just wondering, did Elwyn ever mention any siblings names?

Elizabeth

Judith,  I found this family in Tasmania

do you have a copy of their marriage certificate which hopefully would have more information about her

did she die in Tasmania?  Have you a copy of her death certificate?

Elizabeth

Judith,  I thought this one sounded familiar and it appears I did a lookup for her many years ago

hope this helps - let me know if you need anything else checked

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/australiansurnamesgroup/elwyn-eliza...\

Digger - Tasmanian Pioneer Index 1803-1899

Surname: HAMILTON
Given Names: ELIZABETH HOOD
Event: Birth
Father/Spouse Surname: PERCY RICHARDSO
Mother/Spouse Given Names: HOOD ELIZABETH
Day: 03
Month: 3
Year: 1878 
Sex: Female
Registration Place: LONGFORD
Registration Number: 1035/1878
Reference: RGD 33

yes I agree the registration of Elizabeth Hood Hamilton in Longford fits the puzzle - but the info on the marriage certificate stating she was born in St Kilda in Victoria is confusing -  

yes she did live in Sydney according to family stories -

we have sheets of music with her name handwritten as Elwyn E Hamilton  Concord Road Croydon 1898  - I have checked electoral rolls plus Sands Directories and cant find a Hamilton or Hood in Concord Road at that time give or take 3 years!!   both Croydon Road in Sydney and Melbourne!!

I am thinking what you mentioned  - the marriage certificate could have been written incorrectly - not the first time that has happened - but if so it makes research very hard .   interesting -  Elwyn's first daughter she named Elwyn Edith and then Elwyn Edith's daughter is named Patricia Elwyn!  

I have taken the  information re the Heazlewood marriage from the reference by Sharon (ballards 1 72) 15 May 2009) which I  say would be  correct.   Elwyn Heazlewood died 13 March 1945 and is buried at the St Mary's Cemetery Hagley Westbury - with other Heazlewoods  -    I visited there about 10 years ago.

so where now to go  -  I too have checked records for Percival Hood? or Hamilton without success -  maybe he left Australia - will have a look at passenger outgoing lists -  even so that really doesn't tell me a great deal.

Maybe Elwyn Elizabeth Hood/Hamilton is 'one of those ancestors that can never be traced correctly'  that was said to me many years ago by a very professional historian - when I was trying to trying to find  information on one of my  long lost ancestors who died in 1808 in VDL  -   in other words give up!!

I appreciate your interest  Elizabeth  thanks  Judy

Judith,  Well I would never give up as a couple of years ago I found the death of a long lost missing GG Grandmother after 17 years of searching

Are you sure it said Concord Rd , Croydon  - as far as I know there is no Concord Rd in Croydon, Sydney - I live near Concord Rd and it never extended into Croydon in the past

I have lived here all my life & have the history back to the year dot

You can tie yourself in knots trying to work out why particular family members did certain things and/or were known by other names other than their birth names - I deal with it every day on my Family History site while helping others untangle the family tree

If there is anything else you would like me to check please let me know but it looks like you have done everything possible

I presume you read that message on the thread about Mrs. Arthur Heazlewood of Tasmania wanting access to that information about a death - surely that has to be your Elwyn?

Elizabeth

PS  The NSW electoral rolls only really kick in by 1930 - there are a few earlier ones available but they are a bit sparse - you had to be 21 to be listed on them in those days

my apologies - I should have written Croydon Road Croydon.  an error I didn't pick up in my email to you  -  however I did research Croydon Rd not Concord Rd earlier.

now I have just been into the state library (WA) and found the Tasmanian Electoral Rolls 1873 - 1879 - and the residents enrolled at Longford in 1878   -  NO sign of Percy Richardson Hamilton - nor any Hood.  So I can only conclude he was not registered there.

interesting I found a Richard Hood in 1873 - onwards leasing 404 acres at Trafalgar - North Esk  - the only Hood found.

I also have read the Births in the District of Longford 1878  - " #1055  3 March 1878 - Given Name- Elizabeth Hood - Father Percy Richardson Hamilton -Clerk   Mother Elizabeth Hamilton formerly Hood - signed by Elizabeth Hamilton Mother Longford -  registered 1st April 1878.     So Percy didn't sign the registration like most other fathers!!

also I checked the Sands Directory  & Melbourne Directory no sign of P.R.Hamilton or Elizabeth Hamilton. around appropriate dates.

now if I presume Elizabeth Hood (her given names on the registry) Hamilton is my Elwyn Elizabeth Hood Hamilton - then I guess I need to try and trace her father?   Any suggestions will be appreciated

Judy

Judy,   I don't know what else to check so I have put the question to my genealogy group members to see if anyone can come up with any further information - it all seems a bit peculiar about this birth with no parents marriage/no siblings /no trace of the father etc

Elizabeth

I think I will search for any marriage for Elizabeth Hood Hamilton (B:1878 Longford)-  - if she was married in VDL then I should be able to find her - around 1898- or thereabouts

re no record of Percival Richardson Hamilton on electoral roll either means he was under 21 years of age - or just not living there in Longford at the time of birth.  could be the mother Elizabeth Hamilton was living with female relatives in Longford at the time of the birth of her baby -  I presume females were not registered on the electoral roll  ( I cant remember when women got the vote!!!!)

my  feeling is this is not Elwyn Elizabeth  -  this is based on the family stories told  a) she was born in Victoria (very definite) and b)  lived in Sydney as per the music sheet reference

however as you say Elizabeth never give up - so I'll try this     regards Judy  ps maybe Percival went outward bound - in other words left Australia

Judith,   I havn't give up either and will do some further checking

Just remember that births can be registered in a different state to where they occurred and it is peculiar that there is absolutely nothing else on this family in the BDMs

I am starting to wonder if Percy Richardson HAMILTON ever existed at all !!!

Elizabeth

RSS

© 2018   Created by National Archives of Australia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an issue  |  Terms of Service