I have a copy of Arthur"s embarkation roll entry. He was a Private and his Service No is 3944. According to this he left Australia on 20 December 1915 on HMAT Suevic. I have searched the service records and cannot find any records relating to him. Where do I go from here?

Views: 103

Reply to this

Replies to this discussion

Hello Lois

I have been able to locate Arthur's service record on RecordSearch and there is a digital image of his service record. You may not have located the record if you searched in RecordSearch using his full name, as WWI service records are listed only using initials. 

The way you can search for this record is by going to RecordSearch at http://naa.gov.au/collection/using/search/ by clicking on the 'Search as a guest' button.  Click on the NameSearch tab, enter Taylor into the Family name screen and select 'World War I' from the drop down option for category.  Click on the 'Refine this search result' button when you get to the screen that tells you how many records there are for soldiers with the surname Taylor, and then enter 3944 into the service number field and click 'Search'.

When the search has run, click on the 'Display' button.  There are two records, and one of them is Arthur's.  To the right of the screen is an icon that looks like a document - click on that you will see the digitised service record.  Click on the link in the control symbol, and you will see more database information about his service record.  You can also click on the digital image icon on the full details screen.

Good luck, and let me know if you still can't get to the record,'

Tonia

(NAA staff)

RSS

© 2019   Created by National Archives of Australia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an issue  |  Terms of Service