Hello,

Could anyone help me work out the name of the boat my grandfather embarked on on the 27 June 1941? I am having trouble understanding the writing...I thought it was E S I I A but maybe G S II A...what do you think?

many thanks

Penny

Views: 57

Attachments:

Reply to this

Replies to this discussion

Penny,   If you know what regiment he was in then you could try some google searching for that regiment which might mention the name of the boat

Can you list his name?

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

His name was George Bell NX45413. At the time he was with the Australian Army Medical Corp. He was embarking for the Middle East where he was assigned to the 2/5 AGH. I have spent hours scrolling through photos on the Australian War Memorial site hoping to come across a photo of a boat that matches.

Any advice you could give would be appreciated. Thankyou!

Bye
Penny

Penny,  I havnt had any luck so far so will ask a colleague who is a Military Historian to see what he thinks

will let you know when I hear back from him

Elizabeth

Penny,  I have had a reply from my colleague as follows - hope it helps

It is a Convoy number.

Convoy US 11 A left for the Middle East from Sydney on the 27/6/1941. It sailed to Freemantle, leaving Freemantle on the 9 July 1941 to Suez. It arrived at Suez on the 31 July 1941.

The convoy consisted of:

Vessel

Flag 

Tons 

Built 

Pdt.

Cargo    

Notes      

AQUITANIA

Br 

4012 TROOPS 

QUEEN ELIZABETH

Br 

5807 TROOPS 

QUEEN MARY

Br 

5723 TROOPS 

At this time all our troops were going overseas in Convoys. For security reasons Ship’s names were at this time never mentioned.

Ref: http://www.convoyweb.org.uk/misc/

Thankyou so much Elizabeth. I would never have stumbled across that information. Makes me so excited when little mysteries are solved. Thankyou (and your colleague) so much for solving it for me!

Do you happen to know if there is anyway to find out which ship my Grandfather was on?

thanks

Penny

Penny,  Happy to be able to help - my colleague is a mine of information - due to the circumstances at the time I doubt you would be able to find out which one of these ships he would have been on - maybe contact the Australian War memorial and they might be able to help

Elizabeth

Thankyou. I did some googling tonight and he was probably on the Queen Elizabeth as it left on the 27th June. The others didn't leave to a few days later. Will keep reading and try the war memorial to verify. Thanks again :)

Penny,  Well that solves your problem if the others didn't leave on that day as it is recorded in his war record

Shouldn't be too difficult to find a picture of this ship - let's hope there are not 3 or 4 with the same name - if so just go by the tonnage to get the right one

If you get stuck let me know as I love researching ships

Elizabeth

Will do. Thankyou :)

Dear Elizabeth - many thanks for getting back to me about George Macwardle Taylor. I have now found the correct spelling his middle name but have so far not had any luck in locating any living descendants in an effort to reunite them with some family heirlooms that were left with a friend. Thank you for your help in this matter. Yours sincerely Dianne Cowling (researcher for exPOW Victoria Association)

Diane,  This reply turned up on the incorrect thread but I will send you a friends request with my email address so I can give you the relatives name /address & phone number  for George Macwardle TAYLOR

Elizabeth

RSS

© 2017   Created by National Archives of Australia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an issue  |  Terms of Service