HI

Can any one help me or point me in the right direction.  ?

I am looking for one of my relatives Alfred Abel Macpherson.... army records show him born Adelaide but I am yet to find him born there one minute show he was a Seaman then joined the Labour Corp.  I am in England so unable to go to the record office

Kind regards

Colleen

Views: 26

Attachments:

Reply to this

Replies to this discussion

Colleen,  I think he may have been born in England as I found a reference in Australia for him as Alfred Abel Harris/McPherson - his surname appears to be spelled McPherson on that application

There is a birth in 1873 in Brentford, UK that may be him under surname HARRIS - it is possible he changed his surname at some stage

I have checked the South Australian births and there is no record to match

On his application that you attached he stated he was 43 years old in 1919 which makes him born 1876 but I suspect he changed his age by a few years to enlist

You can find that birth on the Free UK BDM site if needed

I have found a photo of him on Ancestry and he is listed under the surname HARRIS  1873 - 1954

I have no idea if he married in England or elsewhere - there is one possible in England but I also found two people with the same name so I don't know if it is him or not

Hope this link works - scroll down to find him - there are a couple of photos and one with his son

http://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&...

Elizabeth

Colleen, On that Ancestry link I posted there is also a photo of him in his Royal Engineers Uniform which matches exactly with the record you attached - I am absolutely sure it is him

I can get larger versions of those photos if you need them

People don't always put accurate info about their birth on applications to join the military for one reason & another - in those days no one bothered checking info on their application forms

Elizabeth

RSS

© 2017   Created by National Archives of Australia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an issue  |  Terms of Service